Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Date #1, 8/21/06

I'm not sure yet if Jon should blog about the dates he plans or about the dates I plan, but since he's in a meeting right now, I suppose I'll start it off ...

So part of making our date night a casual time for the two of us to be together requires that we not stress ourselves out about the planning. That said, we've invited a bit of the element of surprise to this ... so far. I mean, we're only two dates in, and we may find that we're just too tired to keep "surprising" each other each week. But for now, we haven't elected to give anything away until the day of the date.

All I knew last Monday was that we'd be outside eating and that Jon would pick me up at 6:00. Of course, last Monday also happened to be the day that I met Bethany, the girl who recently became my roommate. Because I wanted Jon to meet her before she left and before we took off for our first date, I delayed Jon's plans for the evening.

Which reminds me, I really like how easy-going and patient he is. But that's just a side note here. Anyway ...

After Bethany left, Jon grabbed the bottle of wine I'd been chilling for him for the past few days, and we left, sweatshirts and jackets in tow.

Out at his car in front of my apartment, Jon emptied the pinot grigio into a Nalgene, and packed it in the cooler of other items he had with him. We drove out to Hoyt Park on the near West side, pulled grocery bags of goodies and other picnic-y items out of the trunk, walked down the trail and parked ourselves at an appropriate fire pit (Jon will have to fill you in on what exactly makes a good fire pit, because a lot of this is still beyond me).

We moved a picnic table closer to our "oven" and while I poured wine, Jon built a fire to toast our pita appetizers to dip in hummus. Yum. I love hummus.

For dinner, Jon brought pepperoni, cheese, pizza sauce, green peppers, onions, spices, and individual pizza pie crusts. I have to admit that I kind of didn't expect too much from pizzas cooked over a campfire, but wow. Delicious. Two thumbs up. I'd come back for more (see a similar recipe here).

And then dessert too! Tortillas warmed with cinnamon and sugar. Seriously good meal.

Jon will have to give you the final price tag on the evening, but I assure you it was worth every penny.

Of course, our being late meant that we couldn't drive up to an overlook to watch the sun set like Jon had originally planned, but like I said, Jon is just the kind of guy who can roll with changes. Maybe the best part about the night was that his choice for our first Monday night was something that he loves doing and does well. The skies were clear and the temp cool for a summer evening, and getting to be outside all night with someone I love is easily a great date.

3 Comments:

Blogger Shannon Anderson said...

That's a good date, Joel and I have had that date. It's a good date! :)

Thu Aug 31, 11:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to read your new blog, Mary (and Jon). Love the details on your first official "date night" here in madtown, and I'm really looking forward to more stories of your dating adventures. Chris and I could probably use some inspiration!
Love you guys,
Sarah

Thu Aug 31, 11:26:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Wow, this is where you have been the last few weeks - on this blog I mean. And Mary, you have a roommate?? Well, I am really sick, sitting at home off work today, but one way or another I am sure I will see you tomorrow... You can still stay here, we just might have to sit on opposites of the room while we talk. =)

Thu Aug 31, 03:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home