Thursday, September 28, 2006

date night starts early

Mary switched this up this past week and put together a day full of activity. The plan was to head off in the morning but thanks to me taking longer than expected on the phone with my brother in India and some frustrating complications things got started a bit later. Thankfully it was a beautiful day and perfect for what was in store.

Mary had done her research and come up with a bike tour along the Military Ridge Trail that goes from Madison to Dodgeville. If you do the whole thing it is about an 80 mile round trip but neither of us likes pain that much so instead the plan was a laid back ride from Verona to Mount Horeb. We parked my car around 12:30. It was cool and sunny with a slight breeze, perfect. The biking around Madison is one of my favorite things about this town and the surrounding area and on a Monday afternoon the trail is pretty empty. So after filling up my backpack with snacks and drinks that Mary brought we hit the trail.

We took our time getting to Mount Horeb and learned that even a little wind makes the legs burn and the downtown was a welcome rest when we finally entered the land of the trolls. We took a quick stroll through the downtown area and after seeing that our lunch options were rather limited we ended up going to a café/diner whose name I can’t remember and who is not on the Mount Horeb website. We made it in just before it closed at 3 and sat down for an okay lunch from a great waitress.

After lunch it was back on the trail for a much easier return trip. Amazing what a little wind to the back does. Once back in Madison we took easy for rest of the night since I was trying to get over a cold and enjoyed some chicken noodle soup and tv premiers.

The challenge of coming up with something each week continues to be fun but now as I am writing I realize I need to start thinking about this next week. Any ideas?

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

This won't work for next week, but maybe in a few weeks - you guys should take a date to the haunted house in West Bend (I can't think what it's called right now) but I went with Fermin and my little sister last year and it was really freaking scary and awesome. I would recommend a thermos of hot chocolate and some snacks because the wait is kind of long at the peak times, but it's super scary and lots of fun! You might have to do this on a weekend night too.. so maybe it wouldn't work for you date, but you should still go...

Fri Sep 29, 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Fri Sep 29, 12:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home