Tuesday, March 20, 2007

seat of your pants

As Mary and I explore Madison we tend to approach the night with either a well-defined plan or spontaneous desire. Those two approaches usually line up according to our personality types so Mary being the one who is able to be more laid back decided to create the night as it came.

She knew we were headed to a lecture/performance that was part of the Line Breaks series at the Wisconsin Historical Society but it was too early to head over there and we were both hungry. So we started walking down State Street waiting for inspiration. It struck quickly as we decided to just take the edge off and wait on dinner until after the lecture so we ducked into Einstein Bros (I have never called it that until now) for a coffee and bagel. I am not much of a bagel connoisseur but their apple-something-something bagels are tasty.

So with coffee in hand we walked the short distance to the Historical building. As we took a seat and got comfortable, I was not really sure what we were in for but I was hoping to learn something new. I was not disappointed. First off, I have very little experience with seeing or hearing spoken word art and I found the host's opening performance powerful. Then after creating an open definition of hip hop, Kamilah Forbes, Executive Producer of Russell Simmons’ HBO Def Poetry Jam was introduced.

Most of what was discussed was eye-opening to me and created a number of interesting questions about art, culture, television and the line between artistic integrity and selling out to The Man. This series continues through the end of April; we hope to go back to experience and learn more.

Towards the end, the Q &A portion was starting to feel a little long, so we headed out to find something to fill our now grumbling bellies. Mary narrowed our choices down to getting a good burger, so we found it convenient to be so close to one of Madison’s favorite burger places, Dotty’s.


We quickly ordered some burgers, fries and beer and sat back to discuss the many questions and ideas recently created by the aforementioned lecture.

And thus ended another good date night.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love def poetry! Sadly, I don't get HBO anymore, though. Do you still watch it? I 'm a fan of spoken word.

Tue Mar 20, 05:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home