Wednesday, October 11, 2006

so much good food

Now that both Mary and I are part of the working world we love lazy night more and more. We both have Mondays off thanks to being part of the strange church work week. I personally love having a day off when most people work so that I can run errands and just relax while most people are sitting in their offices wishing the weekend could be a day longer.

After doing some random shopping around town and having lunch with my brother we transitioned into date mode, whatever exactly that means. I had been commenting over the last week that I was in the mood for some good Chinese food and we had both wanted to check out the Firefly after reading/hearing about it from others. So around 7:30 we arrived at what I have come to understand as a fashionable Chicago hour to eat dinner. To go too early is to risk eating at the geriatric hour but too go too late is to act against all dieticians.

My first impression was a good one as the place was packed for a restaurant on a Monday in Madison. Mary pointed out some small things they should consider to make the room feel more welcoming which is why she will be so good at her new job.

After sitting at the bar and experiencing rather indifferent service we were seated. The meal itself was excellent. It began with I think snow peas that you ate the peas and put the pod in the provided bowl. Mary ordered the stir friend green beans and I don’t usually like green beans but these were amazing.

For entrees Mary ordered the Kung Pao chicken which upon arrival looked different then I had ever seen Kung Pao chicken but it too was excellent. If you enjoy spicy food I would recommend it. I had the macadamia nut chicken and like everything else it was great.

My only real issue with the Firefly was the service. I have lived with a few servers so I know that Monday nights are despised so maybe that was it but small things like water refills or asking how things are were all a bit slow or did not happen at all.

After dinner Mary wanted to go for dessert or drinks so we headed towards the capital. But as we were on our way we were talking about how we seem to already be in a rut of going to the capital square so we did the most natural thing one would do when tired of trying to be too metropolitan. We pulled a u-turn and headed to Perkins for some of their nasty and yet warm memory educing coffee and the every wonderful chocolate chipper and pie.

And so went the rest of our date night, sitting in a booth reliving high school memories and watching the place get busy around 11 pm with regulars and high school students.

I went home happy and I think a good five pounds heavier. (that is not really me, I have more hair)

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

a) i'm not a snob :P
b) that 5 lbs heavier photo is not something i wanted to leave with at the end of your entry
c) you crack me up.

Fri Oct 13, 11:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home